ESPN has suspended Britt McHenry for one week, effective immediately, after a video surfaced of the reporter berating a woman working for a towing company.
McHenry can be heard attacking the employee in what appears to be security footage of the incident. Among the things said:
– “I’m in the news, sweetheart.”
– “I will f***ing sue this place.”
– “That’s why I have a degree and you don’t.”
– “I wouldn’t work in a scumbag place like this.”
– “Makes my skin crawl even being here.”
– “Yep, that’s all you care about is just taking people’s money. With no education, no skill set, just wanted to clarify that.”
– “Do you feel good about your job?
– “So I can be a college dropout and do the same thing?”
– “Why? Because I have a brain? And you don’t?”
– “Maybe if I was missing some teeth they would hire me, huh?”
– “‘Cause they [the employee’s teeth] look so stunning … ‘Cause I’m on television and you’re in a f***ing trailer, honey.”
– “Lose some weight, baby girl.”
In a statement published to Twitter on Thursday, McHenry apologized for her actions:
In an intense and stressful moment, I allowed my emotions to get the best of me and said some insulting and regrettable things. As frustrated as I was, I should always choose to be respectful and take the high road. I am so sorry for my actions and will learn from this mistake.