Kevin Winter/Getty Images
Funeral arrangements have been announced for Oscar-nominated director John Singleton, who died earlier this week at the age of 51 from complications following a stroke.
In a statement issued on Friday by Singleton’s family, the filmmaker will be laid to rest at a private funeral on Monday, May 6th in Los Angeles. The family says the service “will be a very small, intimate goodbye for family and very close friends and will not be open to the public or media.”
However, the statement indicates that “a larger memorial for John” is also in the works and is scheduled to take place “in a few weeks to celebrate his life.” At this time, there are no additional details about that event.
As previously reported, Singleton died on April 29 in Los Angeles after suffering a stroke on April 17. His family chose to remove him from life support, and a spokesperson said Singleton passed away peacefully, surrounded by his family and friends.
The director, who was well-respected in Hollywood for his work in both film and television, made history as the first black person and the youngest filmmaker ever to be nominated for the Academy Award for Best Director, for his critically-acclaimed film Boyz In The Hood.
Copyright © 2019, ABC Radio. All rights reserved.